Traditional acupuncture is a healthcare system based on ancient principles which go back nearly two thousand years. It has a very positive model of good health and function, and looks at pain and illness as signs that the body is out of balance. The overall aim of acupuncture treatment, then, is to restore the body’s equilibrium. What makes this system so uniquely suited to modern life is that physical, emotional and mental are seen as interdependent, and reflect what many people perceive as the connection between the different aspects their lives.
Based on traditional belief, acupuncturists are trained to use subtle diagnostic techniques that have been developed and refined for centuries. The focus is on the individual, not their illness, and all the symptoms are seen in relation to each other. Each patient is unique; two people with the same western diagnosis may well receive different acupuncture treatments.
Traditional acupuncturists believe that the underlying principle of treatment is that illness and pain occur when the body’s qi, or vital energy, cannot flow freely. There can be many reasons for this; emotional and physical stress, poor nutrition, infection or injury are among the most common. By inserting ultra-fine sterile needles into specific acupuncture points, a traditional acupuncturist seeks to re-establish the free flow of qi to restore balance and trigger the body’s natural healing response.
A growing body of evidence-based clinical research shows that traditional acupuncture safely treats a wide range of common health problems.
Other Types of Acupuncture and Related Treatments
Magnets and acupressure are used instead of needles. This is particularly useful for those with needle phobia, and for children.
This is where lines and wrinkles on the face are smoothed out, and facial muscles are lifted, resulting in tighter skin. This therapy can also be used for skin conditions.
Treating points on the hand will work on the equivalent part of the body. This may be of particular interest to patients who are not very mobile. Either small needles or press pellets may be used for this treatment.
Auricular acupuncture is a micro-system of the body. This enables us to treat all the organs and functions of the body. Commonly used for addiction problems.
Gerda is an Affiliated Acupuncturist Member of the Zita West Network for Reproductive Health, which addresses both male and female fertility issues.
Neuro-muscular taping helps to treat injuries to muscles. Elastic adhesive strips are used to assist muscular function without limiting movement. Treating muscle injuries in this way re-activates the body’s own healing processes.
Ron is qualified to use these to support the treatment of acupuncture in the tradition of Chinese medicine. (TCM)
Scalp acupuncture is another micro-system which can be particularly useful in treating deep-seated chronic conditions.
Why use a BAcC (British Acupuncture Council) member?It is very important to check that your acupuncturist is safe and competent.
All members of the BAcC can offer you the following assurances:
- BSc or BA degree level training or its equivalent in traditional acupuncture, Chinese medicine, and western biomedical sciences including anatomy, physiology and pathology (3,600 hours of study)
- compliance with current UK health and safety legislation
- full medical malpractice and public/products liability insurance cover
- expert practice skills maintained by following a mandatory individual programme of continuing professional development (CPD)
- regular updates from the BAcC regarding practitioners' professional obligations to the public
- compliance with BAcC Code of Safe Practice and Code of Professional Conduct
- patient access to the BAcC complaints and disciplinary procedures
- English language skills at least equivalent to those required of doctors and nurses working in the UK
- Acupuncturists registered with the BAcC carry the letters MBAcC after their name.
To Find Out How Acupuncture Can Help You …
… call Gerda on 0118 9076301 or 07751 291825 or Ron on 07805 601512.